Wednesday, May 16, 2007

NOACVS 81-105

"Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler," Juan Felipe Herrera
Pg.93

"Do it on the road, Red
Feed it on the bracnch, Beaulah
Knead it on the berry, Bobo
Braid it on the forest, Freydo
Lose it on the water, Waldo"

I particularly liked this pass age in Juan's poem mainly because it is very unique from any other poem I have read. As I noticed, the last two words in every phrase has the same first letter. This makes me think, why would Juan put the poem in that particular order? It sounds to me as if the words actually make music if you read it out loud to yourself. The way Juan uses words for music is incredibly talented. This poem is great because it doesn't need to make sense. It's not a poem in which you think of the meaning, but actually hear the meaning.

"Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler," Juan Felipe Herrera
Pg. 94

"Battles, missions, random intersections, chaos, time and culture boosters, explosions; I want writing to contain all this because we contain all this--is this closer to what you mean by saying we are Americanos? Is this your mission? You know VĂ­ctor, I am going to say it--no more movements, nothing about lines or metaphors or even about quality and craft; you know what I mean?

No comments: