Sunday, May 13, 2007

NOACVS 1-29

"Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler", Juan Felipe Herrera
Pg.8

"As I walk, I drop my burdens. As I walk, I melt with the snow."

This excerpt from Juan's poem is simple, yet has many meanings and interpretations. As he drops his burdens he melts with the snow. This metaphor relates to when he relieves any stress he goes out and becomes one with nature and finds himself blend in with the simple delicacy of nature. The snow may be a metaphor to his burdens, and instead of having the burdens weighing him down he actually blends with it. This an exceptionally hard characteristic to obtain. Instead of being controled by stress and burdens, he acknowledges these hard times and becomes one with it. Realising what he has to do and maybe making it possible to achieve these hard to reach goals or maybe he just lives in a moment where stress cannot reach.

"Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler", Juan Felipe Herrera
Pg. 27

" I worry about the day having hours, minutes, and seconds."

This quote is particularly significant and displays a great point. It makes me question why does the day have hours, minutes, and seconds? Time is time, right? Well, in the looks of the human eyes time is divided which makes me think about time itself. Time continues on no matter what speed it travels in. So why do we split time into these sections? it's really interesting and in my opinion a very significant quote. In the eyes of time, seconds are hours and minutes and vise versa. We live in it and no matter what we may divide time into, time will still go at its same speed in its own way.

No comments: